Similes and metaphors toolbox
Introduction of similes and metaphors with examples, instructional frameworks, and worksheets.
Identifying Comparisons in Similes and Metaphors
Decide what is being compared in each sentence. Write the words or phrase to describe what two things are compared.
1. The baby was like an octopus, grabbing for all the cans on the grocery store shelves.
2. As the principal entered the room she muttered, "This class is like a three-ring circus!"
3. The giant’s steps were thunder as he ran toward Jack.
4. The pillow was a cloud for my sore head after a long day of beating it against life.
5. After swimming twenty laps I felt like a limp dishrag.
6. Jack and Jim are two peas in a pod.
7. The teacher’s smile was the sun during our test.
8. No one invites Danni to parties because she’s a wet blanket.
9. The bar of soap was a slippery eel during the dog’s bath.
10. Ted was as nervous as a cat with a long tail in a room full of rocking chairs.
11. Mom’s eyebrows were like express up elevators when she saw my sister's outfit.
Answers: 1. baby – octopus. 2. class - 3 ring circus, 3. steps – thunder, 4. pillow – cloud, 5. I - limp dishrag, 6. Jack & Jim - peas in a pod, 7. smile – sun, 8. Danni - wet blanket, 9. bar of soap - slippery eel, 10. Ted – cat, 11. eyebrows – express elevators
Random Creation of Similes and Metaphors
Similes and Metaphors
Directions: In the first column, write four nouns. In the second column, write four different nouns.
Create two similes and two metaphors by choosing a noun from the left column and comparing it to a noun in the right column.
Animal Similes and Metaphors
Metaphors make comparisons without the use of the words like or as.
Similes make a comparisons using like or as.
Use the following ideas to make similes.
The whale is big.
The whale is like a
The elephant was strong.
The elephant was as strong as a
The dolphin was fun.
The dolphin was as fun as a
Use the following ideas to make metaphors.
The sardines swam together.
The sardines were a
Create your own metaphor
The ocean was a (an)
Poem with Similies and Metaphor
Identify the similies and metaphors in the poem.
illuminate the darkness;
Each one shines like a tiny diamond.
Some huddle together in clusters;
others stand alone.
Still others shoot through the sky
on these one makes a wish!